Ah, yes, award show season. It’s a time to celebrate the achievements of gaming’s best from game development studios to game devs.
Now, I realize gamers aren’t exactly known for their extroverted demeanor but do we deserve – nay – need video game award shows? I can barely watch one all the way through. I dislike any and all video game award shows. I know they exist but not enough for me to pay attention to them .
My first and last video game award show was VGX 2013, previously known as the Spike Video Game Awards. If there were some redeeming quality it would be the video games and the video games only.
Here are a few reasons why video game awards shows are so cringy (in my opinion):
- Clueless celebrities as hosts or guest stars (as in they aren’t gamers, at all)
- Impersonable hosts
- Jokes seemed forced and don’t always match the subject matter
- Not-so-subtle advertising (does anyone remember Robot Razer?)
- Blatant video gamer stereotypes
- More emphasis on popular video games than good video games (no, they are not one in the same)
I also heard The Game Awards 2019 was pretty cringy. No, I am not going to watch it to find out just how cringy.
What do you think about video game award shows? Do you look forward to them every year? Let me know in the comment section below.